Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spring is here and summer's just around the corner?!?

Last week, spring felt like it was just around the corner.  We went outside without mittens and toques and one day I even went for a run in capris!  With the time change, it was light later so we could take advantage of going to the park after dinner.  The snow had melted so we could actually see the grass again and there was that smell of spring in the air. 
I was getting excited about packing up the winter gear... and then this Wednesday, we had a big snow storm (yes, a week before April!) and now it's  -10.  Atleast, the sky is blue and the sunshine is glorious, but we are back to bundling up and playing in the snow.
I've been trying to be proactive to avoid a bad attitude that winter is still here (especially when our Vancouver friends are bragging about the +17 temperatures).   I've been trying to convince Mike to let me go away on a beach vacation (I'm even willing to be very selfless and go alone).  He's not convinced so instead I'm trying to be a bit more realistic and start to plan our summer vacation.
I think it would be fun to rent a cottage and explore some more cottage country that Ontario is famous for.  I was asking Josh what we should do for our summer holidays.  I told him that maybe we should go to the beach.  His response was 'I know, we should go to the beach with the yellow umbrellas'.  The beach he is referring to is the 'fake beach' that is a five minute walk from our place.  I told him that I was thinking of going somewhere a bit further away and his next suggestion was going to the Science Centre.  It's nice that it doesn't take too much to make him happy.
For now, while I wait for the day to come when I can finally put away the toques and mittens for good, I will try to stay positive.  It's nice to always have to wear sunglasses when driving and when the sun is streaming in through the windows, I just tell myself that it's really warm out.  And in June when all of our Vancouver friends are complaining about the rain, I will be down at the 'fake beach' soaking up the rays and the warmth!

No comments:

Post a Comment