Saturday, December 11, 2010

Trying to start a tradition

The great thing about it being so cold here is that there are outdoor skating rinks everywhere and we are lucky enough to have one just a few blocks from us.  I thought it would be so wonderful to start a mother-son tradition with Josh of going iceskating together.  Last Saturday, I suggested the idea to Josh and explained how it was such a great idea since we both have our own iceskates.  I even tried to sell it up by suggesting that we take the streetcar there and go to Starbucks for some hot chocolate afterwards!  Come on, who could resist that offer?  Well, apparently Josh could.  He politely told me 'no, thank you' and suggested that I take Owen instead.  A few hours later, when Josh was heading out the door with Mike (to play basketball), he casually said 'have fun with Owen iceskating, make sure to hold his hand'.
I decided to leave it for the day and maybe work on convincing him during the week.  On Tuesday, I brought up my wonderful idea again of going iceskating together.  Josh said he couldn't go because he was going to be busy on Saturday.  I asked him what he had to do and he said he had homework.  When I asked him what he had for homework, he realized that I wasn't buying it so he quickly changed his story to a more believable one that he had a project, a big colouring project that he had to work on.  Okay, fine I get the hint.
Josh did try to appease me somewhat by offering to walk to the skating rink with me and watch the other skaters.  I guess I will take what I can get.  And maybe I will start the mother-son iceskating tradition with Owen because I am sure he would be all over it!

2 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! They sure do know what they want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny- I love his excuses! He is sounding so old these days in your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete