Sunday, August 21, 2011

Luv + Love

One of the things I love about Mike (there are lots!) is that he not only likes playing tennis but he is one of the few who enjoys watching it as well!  I love watching tennis and I've always dreamed of watching a live match.  Once we moved to Toronto, my dream was a little closer to becoming a reality because every summer, they have the Rogers Cup at York University.  I thought it would be so great to go watch the women's tournament when it was here last week but when the cheapest tickets were $75, it was way too expensive to justify.  So, you can imagine my excitement when I got my Travelzoo top 20 email of the week and it had a deal for matinee tickets (which included 3 matches) to Rogers Cup for $30.  And the best part was that Mike was willing to go with me.

The tickets were bought and we were all set to watch some exciting tennis.  The seats were high but they were good seats for the price we paid and we still had a good view of the entire court. 
(our view for the first match)
We settled into our seats and it started to rain (and we had left our umbrella in the car).  The thing about rain in Toronto is that although it is shortlived, the skies open up and it is a downpour.  We thought we would stand to watch for a bit so that we were closer to the exit in case it started to pour. 
While we were standing watching, a volunteer started chatting with us.  She asked if we were watching the tournament for a few days (you can buy packages) or just for the day.  I told her that we were just there for the day and her reply was 'oh, and you could only afford those seats'.  I laughed and said 'yeah, and I even got them for only $30'.  She said that she could tell that we were real fans and wondered if we would want to sit closer if we could.  I said 'most definitely' and she said that maybe she had some connections so that we could get better seats but that we have to really want them.  I said that 'yes, we really wanted them and we had already gone down below to see if we could sit there since there were so many empty seats but the lady wouldn't let us'.  Since this lady was a volunteer, she had free tickets but she couldn't use them so she wondered if we wanted them.  We were giddy with excitement and we didn't hesitate to say yes.  So, our $30 bronze seats became $125 seats; it made an already perfect day even better!

(our new and improved view)


(the #1 seed, Wozniacki defeated by an unknown)




We had a wonderful day, watching some amazing tennis action! 




No comments:

Post a Comment