Friday, April 15, 2011

The Bookmobile


It was a regular Friday evening in August.  Nothing too eventful had happened and I was a bit worn out from a week of unpacking.  I decided to join the boys in checking out what the awnings were all about at the park across the street.  Well, I didn’t quite make it there as I was sidetracked by the people gathered around a big motor home in the parking lot.  Yes, we have a Bookmobile.  It is a converted Winnebago that is a fully-loaded library, complete with books for all ages, magazines, CDs, DVDs... and it comes to the parking lot beside our apartment every Friday.  That is how the Friday night tradition of the bookmobile began for Josh and I.
Every Friday night, we walk next door to the Bookmobile.  It’s not only a place to stock up on our books but it’s also a place where we meet new people, catch up with our neighbours and plan play dates.  Every Friday morning, Josh asks me ‘is it bookmobile day today?’ and we wait in anticipation for the evening to come. 
There is seriously no better way (in my opinion!) to cure a long day and to have some wonderful mother son bonding then to step out your door and into the Bookmobile.  With the Bookmobile and having our milk in a bag, I feel like I am living in a different era, long gone, and I'm loving it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment