Monday, January 3, 2011

Allergic

A few months ago, we sat down to dinner and Josh announced that he couldn't eat his carrots because he was allergic.  He explained to us that if he ate them, they would make him sick.  I am guessing that he learned about allergies at school. I proceeded to tell him that no, he was not allergic to carrots and that he didn't have any allergies and that carrots were actually very good for him.  He apparently knows his body better than I do and in the coming weeks, became allergic to a variety of foods.  He often conveniently develops new food allergies at dinner when it is a food he doesn't want to eat.  His allergies don't always last either; he was allergic to peanut butter one day but somehow was able to eat it on crackers the next day.  Sometimes he is allergic to foods once he is full like the other day when he finished eating his pancakes, he said he needed to stop because he was allergic and he would get a stomachache. 
Yesterday afernoon, he was over at our neighbour's playing.  She offered him some grapes and he said no, he couldn't have any because he was allergic.  When Mike went to pick him up, she was a bit concerned and confused that he was allergic to grapes. Concerned I am sure, that we were very irresponsible parents sending him over there without warning her that he had food allergies and confused because she's probably never heard of anyone being allergic to grapes.
Interestingly enough, he has not yet developed any allergies towards candy or chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. What a guy! I can relate though because I am pretty sure that I would be allergic to seafood if it ever passed my lips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what it's like to have vegetable allergies. It's rough, but at least Josh and I always have candy and chocolate if we get hungry. Phew!

    ReplyDelete