Thursday, January 13, 2011

We actually went iceskating!

I had kind of given up on the idea that Josh would come iceskating with me.  Then last weekend I was taking some stuff out of Josh's closet and he noticed his iceskates.  He was admiring them and said to me that we should go iceskating together (what a great idea, I should have thought of that!).  We booked a skating date for Sunday and I tried to contain my excitement as the day approached.  I knew that there was a good chance that he wouldn't follow through. 
The big day came and we geared up and packed our skates.  When we got there, initially Josh just wanted to watch and then surprisingly, after a few minutes, he wanted to lace up his skates and join me on the ice.  As a sidenote, do you know how hard it is to lace up hockey style skates (with massive laces) with your gloves off and it's -5?  I was about to give up on the idea of skating.

Once we eventually got him laced up, we headed out on to the rink.  Josh lasted for about 10 minutes which I thought was pretty impressive and even stood without me supporting him for about 10 seconds.  After we finished, he declared that next he is going to learn to play ice hockey.  I told him that he would first need to learn to skate.  He informed me that he now knew how to iceskate (apparently he's a fast learner).

Mike and Owen sat on the sidelines watching us longingly.  I think Mike is already on the hunt for a pair of cheap skates and we just need to find a small enough pair for Owen and skating at the outdoor rink will be a family affair!

2 comments:

  1. how fun! Since Josh now knows how to skate maybe he can teach me! We actually got an outdoor rink here in Kelowna just this winter and I'm itching to get on it! (have to find a pair of skates first)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous! Outdoor rinks are the best!

    ReplyDelete